Associate Director Laboratory Services (Abuja 1-position) Code CC 02
The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall operation and administration of the laboratory, including the employment of competent personnel, equipment, safety, laboratory policies, quality assurance, all testing (including proficiency testing) and test reports. The successful candidate will report to the Associate Director, program Management.
Associate Director Laboratory Services will;
- provide support in the planning, coordination and implementation of laboratory services delivery and laboratory related activities across health facilities and communities.
- coordinate the design, planning and implementation of laboratory services delivery according to national and international standards ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
- develop guidelines, tools, SOPs and recommendations related to implementation and monitoring laboratory total quality management in high technology laboratories.
- be responsible for the design, coordination and monitoring of the Laboratory Continuous Quality Improvement mechanism and Sample Referral Network across varying levels of healthcare and geographical locations.
- ensure optimal functionality and linkage of the Laboratory Information System.
- design and coordinate a system for the real-time monitoring of laboratory functionality and equipment capacity utilization; and trending to inform evidence based decisions.
- support for the correlation of new procedures and assays, policy and procedures review and supporting documentation
- Other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in Medical Laboratory Science. Master's degree preferred. A valid certificate to practice as Medical Laboratory Scientist is mandatory.
- 6 years’ experience of running/implementing public health programs preferably in the NGO context including 2 years at senior-level.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of the current principles and techniques surrounding the management of laboratory services with experience in the coordination and implementation of evidence based Laboratory Quality Assurance mechanisms.
- Familiarity with standards and federal/state regulations affecting the laboratory and laboratory practices.
- Experience in a laboratory setting in the areas of molecular diagnosis (viral load determination, drug resistance testing, genotyping and nucleic acid sequencing) is a must.